- Ph.D., Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy (joint graduate program with UC Berkeley), 1993.
- Laurea (joint B.S. and M. S.) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Padova, Italy, 1988.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC Davis, 2013-Present
- Professor, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2002-Present
- Researcher (Assistant Professor), Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1993-2002.
- Postdoctoral Researcher. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, UC Berkeley, 1993.
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering, University of California, Davis Campus
- Dipartimento di Elettronica e Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Multimedia Signal Processing
- Sound analysis, synthesis and processing
- Space-time audio processing
- Acoustic scene analysis and rendering
- Music Information Retrieval
- Computer Vision
- 3D Vision
The research interests of Augusto Sarti are in the area of multimedia signal processing, with particular focus on space-time audio processing, sound analysis, synthesis and processing, music information processing, image analysis and 3D vision.
- He contributed to the area of geometrical acoustics with:
- novel plenacoustic imaging solutions (soundfield cameras)
- novel visibility-based beam tracing solutions for interactive acoustic modeling
- novel geometric plenacoustic rendering methods based on speaker arrays
- solutions based on projective geometry for the inference of the geometry and the reflectivity of the environment, based on microphone arrays.
- In the area of sound synthesis, his main contributions are in the development of a generalized theory of Wave Digital Filters, for the automatic modeling of the nonlinear interactions between physical acoustic systems.
- In the area of Music Information Retrieval he has focused on evolutive musical genre estimation and visualization, as well as musical information extraction (rhythmic, tonal, harmonic/modal, structural).
- In the area of computer vision, he developed various methods for 3D vision, covering self-calibration of multicamera systems, camera egomotion estimation, depth estimation, surface reconstruction, using tools from projective geometry and geometric algebra.
- In the area of nonlinear system theory, he developed an iterative method for the algebraic inversion of Volterra systems up to an arbitrary order.
He also worked on a variety of other topics and applications, including 3D data analysis (GPR analysis, fracture estimation); multidimensional signal processing (signal decimation in multidimensional lattices and filter design); video analysis for surveillance applications; gesture and face recognition; motion vector estimation; tempering detection; non-holonomic motion planning on Lie Groups and Lie Algebra; voice and sound classification; speaker recognition; etc.
D. Markovic, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Soundfield Imaging in the Ray Space”. To appear on IEEE Tr. on Audio Speech and Language Processing, 2013.
P. Bestagini, M. Compagnoni, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “TDOA-Based Acoustic Source Localization in the Space-Range Reference Frame”. J. on Multi-Dimensional Systems and Signal Processing. Mar. 29, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11045-013-0233-8
F. Antonacci, J. Filos, M.R.P. Thomas, E.A.P. Habets, S. Tubaro, A. Sarti, P.A. Naylor, “Inference of Room Geometry from Acoustic Impulse Responses”, IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 20, No. 10, Dec. 2012, pp. 2683-2695.
A. Canclini, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Localization of Acoustic Sources in Distributed Asynchronous Microphone Networks”, IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 21, No. 2, Feb. 2013, pp. 439-443.
M. Marcon, E. Frigerio, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “3D wide baseline correspondences using depth-maps”, EURASIP Signal Processing: Image Communication. Vol. 27, No. 8, Sept. 2012, pp. 849–855.
M. Compagnoni, P. Bestagini, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Localization of Acoustic Sources through the Fitting of Propagation Cones using Multiple Independent Arrays”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. Vol. 20, No. 7, Sept. 2012, pp. 1964-1975.
G. De Sanctis, A. Sarti. “Virtual Analog Modeling in the Wave-Digital Domain”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech, And Language Processing. Vol. 18 No. 4, May 2010, pp. 715-727.
F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro. “Two-dimensional beam-tracing from Visibility Diagrams for Real-Time Acoustic Rendering”. Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2010, Feb. 2010, pp. 1-18.
A. Sarti, G. De Sanctis, “Systematic Methods for the Implementation of Nonlinear Wave Digital Structures”. IEEE Tr. on Circuits and Systems I, Vol. 56, No. 2, Feb. 2009, pp. 460-472.
G. Valenzise, G. Prandi, M. Tagliasacchi, A. Sarti. “Identification of sparse audio tampering using distributed source coding and compressive sensing techniques”. Journal On Image And Video Processing, Vol. 2009, pp. 1- 12.
F. Antonacci, M. Foco, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Fast Tracing of Acoustic Beams and Paths through Visibility Lookup”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 16, No. 4, May 2008, pp. 812-824.
Dell'acqua, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “3D Motion from structures of points, lines and planes”, Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 26, No. 4, April 2008, pp. 529-549.
M. Marcon, L. Piccarreta, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Fast PDE Approach to Surface Reconstruction from Large Cloud of Points”, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol. 112, 2008, pp. 274-285.
R. Rabenstein, S. Petrausch, A. Sarti, G. De Sanctis, C. Erkut, M. Karjalainen, “Block-based physical modeling for digital sound synthesis”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 24, No. 2, Feb. 2007, pp. 42-54.
M. Tagliasacchi, D. Maestroni, S. Tubaro, A. Sarti, “Motion Estimation And Signaling Techniques For 2D+t Scalable Video Coding”, Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 2006, Jan. 2006, pp. 1-21.
A. Dell'Acqua, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, L. Zanzi, “Detection of linear objects in GPR data”. Signal Processing, Vol. 84, No. 4, April 2004, pp. 785-799.
A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Image-based multi-resolution implicit object modeling”. Journal of Applied Signal Processing. Vol. 01, N. 10, pp. 1053-1066, 2002.
A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Image-based surface modeling: a multi-resolution approach”. Signal Processing. Vol. 82, No. 9, September 2002, pp. 1212-1232.
A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Detection and characterisation of planar fractures using a 3D Hough transform”. Signal Processing, Vol. 82, No. 9, September 2002, pp. 1269-1282.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Visible Surface Reconstruction with Accurate Localization of Object Boundaries”, IEEE Tr. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, March 2000, pp. 278-291.
A. Sarti, G. De Poli: “Toward Nonlinear Wave Digital Filters”. IEEE Tr. on Signal Processing. Vol. 47, No. 6, June 1999, pp. 1654-1668.
F. Pedersini, P. Pigazzini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Multicamera Motion Estimation for High-Accuracy 3D Reconstruction”. Signal Processing, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 1-21, Jan. 2000.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Object-Based Sound Synthesis for Virtual Environments”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 17, No. 6, Nov. 2000, pp. 37-51.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Multicamera Systems: Calibration and Applications”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 16, No. 3, May 1999, pp. 55-65.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Accurate and Simple Geometric Calibration of Multi-Camera Systems”. Signal Processing, Vol. 77, No. 3, 1999, pp. 309-334.
F. Pedersini, P. Pigazzini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “3D Area Matching with Arbitrary Multiview Geometry”. Signal Processing: Image Communications. Vol 14, No. 1-2, 1998, pp. 71-94.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Estimation and Compensation of Subpixel Edge Localization Error”. IEEE Tr. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 19, No. 10, Oct. 1997, pp.1278-84.
F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Joint Sublattice Selection and Prefilter Design for the Optimal Decimation of 2D Digital Signals”. IEE Proceedings -Vision, Image and Signal Processing, Vol.144, No. 2, Apr. 1997, pp. 98-107.
G. Lazzarin, S. Pupolin, A. Sarti: “Nonlinearity Compensation in Digital Radio Systems”. IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 42, No. 2-3-4, Feb.-Mar.-Apr. 1994, pp. 988-999.
A. Sarti, S. Pupolin: “Recursive techniques for the synthesis of a pth-order inverse of a Volterra system”. European Transactions on Telecommunications. Vol. 3, No. 4, July-August 1992, pp. 315-322.